Saturday, February 18, 2017

Who You Gonna Call?

Bryan Hitch & Tony S Daniel “Justice League Vol 1: The Extinction Machines” (DC Comics, 2017)


I guess the first question is what are you looking for in a Justice League comic? Personally, I want a team that is actually a team.  I want them to work together and not bicker all the time.  I want them to be heroic and likeable. I want them to face crazy enormous threats.

After the dystopian universe of the Nu52, this Rebirth version of the Justice League gave me more or less what I wanted.

They are a team, working together. Sure the Lanterns are new are treated sort of like rookies (but you know, they are).  And hey it’s a new Superman, so they are getting to know him.  But they like each other! And try to work together!

They are heroes and are trying to save the work and protect innocents!

And they are fighting a couple of crazy alien threats. (Or maybe just really one?) It’s weird and it absolutely requires all of them to deal with the problem.

There are some real problems with the execution, but the concepts are fine.  As I noted above, I thought the plot was a bit confusing. And the art is by the numbers, with nothing to brag about.

But this is a solid book with some room to grow. I enjoyed it, and hope this direction continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment