Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Waiter, There's a Bug in my Comic!

Keith Giffen & Scott Kolins “Blue Beetle, Vol 1: The More Things Change” (DC Comics, 2017)



The Blue Beetle is a character that I seem to run into as a reference more than as an actual character. I’m familiar with the concept, but this is the first I’ve read a Blue Beetle book.

Scott Kolins’ art sets the tone for the book. It’s a YA book and his bold lines and non muscley renderings give the book a lively vibrant feel. He seems to be a great choice for a book featuring a giant bug.

Similarly, lighter toned books are where Keith Giffen has made his money over the years. And he provides the solid execution that you would expect.

While this initial story didn’t do a lot for me, it does a great job of setting the stage for future stories. This sort of book is a real departure from the nu52, and they make it work. I’m looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

Thanks to NetGalley and DC Comics for a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment