Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Who Is This Guy

Chris Ryall & Tony Akins “Dirk Gently: The Interconnectedness of All Kings” (IDW, 2016)


He’s a stranger who shows up asking questions.  Some of the questions are mundane.  Others are absurd.  And others are disturbing.  He’s got a nose for trouble, and an amazing ability to upset the wrong people.

No, I’m not talking about the Doctor.  I’m talking about Dirk Gently.

Gently was a creation of Douglas Adams after the Hitchhiker’s Guide (yes, he did other things).  Word is, Dirk Gently started as a Doctor Who script treatment.  If that’s the case, it is believable. 
The Interconnectedness of All Kings is not an Adams story.  But it is true to how I remember the Dirk Gently books.  Funny, Doctor-ish adventures.  Ryall is not Adams, but he seems to be solid in the English humorist vein.  

Tony Akins’s work is complementary to the story.  Fun and energetic, it plays well with the humor and pace of the plot.  He does a good job differentiating a fairly large cast.  I never felt like I was getting characters confused (which can be a problem without costumes helping the reader).

I had a lot of fun with this book.  I’m looking forward to reading more, and plan on doing a reread of Adams’ originals.

No comments:

Post a Comment