Saturday, April 29, 2017

Don't Murder Me

Christopher Priest & Carlo Pagulayan “Deathstroke, Volume 1: The Professional” (DC Comics, 2017)



I’ve got some mixed feelings about this one. 

I really like the creative team.  Christopher Priest seems to write solid comics that feel like thrillers with a superpowered boost.  In some ways they feel like the blockbuster movies of the future.  I was not previously familiar with Carlo Pagulayan, but he did a solid job on this book.

On the other hand, I am not really a fan of Deathstroke.  I’m just not a fan of comic villains who are assassins.  I mean, how does that even work in the comics universe? It just seems to break the world for me.

So the challenge then, is can a good creative team make a book that I will enjoy?

The answer unfortunately is mixed. I really enjoyed the portion of the book that was more or less a spy or war story.  When it gets more into the “normal” DCU, I felt like the tension between the core of the character and the universe was too much to me.

I’d love to see this as a straight spy or war book. Keep Deathstroke away from the capes.

No comments:

Post a Comment