Saturday, April 29, 2017

Burritos or Burgers?

John Semper Jr & Paul Pelletier “Cyborg, Volume 1: The Imitation of Life” (DC Comics, 2017)


I’m going to date myself right now.  My formative years of reading DC comics were before Cyborg. I’ve never read a Cyborg solo story, he’s always been a minor character in a Justice League story. So my knowledge of the character comes from DC animation.

I really prefer the Teen Titans Go! version of the character.  

So much angst. Is he losing is humanity? Who cares! I read this book and I don’t.

Look, this just felt like a drab, ugly book that wanted to play with science fictional concepts without much skill or nuance. The dialogue consistently felt like it was written by a middle aged man, not like it was anything a young man would say. And the art? Well, it was just generally a mess.

Perhaps a reviewer who is more connected to the character may have a more positive spin on this title. For me, it’s got to be the worst Rebirth title I’ve read.

No comments:

Post a Comment