Sunday, January 29, 2017

Meet the New School Same as the Old School

Paul S Kemp “A Conversation in Blood” (Del Rey, 2017)


This is the third Egil & Nix book by Kemp.  The good thing is that the books seem to be episodic enough that you don’t have to have read them all.

I think I read the first of these, but really I’m not sure. And truthfully, I don’t think it mattered to my enjoyment.

There’s a school of thought that says that we need more old-fashioned storytelling.  I’m not sure that those people are right. (Actually I’m pretty sure that they are not). But Kemp is a modern writer that those fans would do well to read. A Conversation in Blood calls back to the days of fantasy as short fiction, to Leiber et al.  

It’s hard to find a lot to talk about with this book because it’s not trying to change the world. It’s trying to tell you a good adventure story.  And it accomplishes its goals.

If you are a fan of the old school or the new, I’d recommend checking out Kemp.  This was a very fun fantasy romp with a couple of loveable rogues.

No comments:

Post a Comment