Saturday, January 7, 2017

You Got Your Romance in my Fantasy!

Kai Ashante Wilson “A Taste of Honey” (Tor.com, 2016)


Kai Ashante Wilson is a hot writer right now.  The breakout piece was “Sorcerer of the Wildeeps”, where he combined contemporary literary chops with some subtle and skillful world building.  Now he’s back with “A Taste of Honey”, a novella set in the same world.  There’s no direct connection between the two works, and you don’t have to be familiar with Wildeeps to understand Honey.  

Fundamentally, this is a star crossed romance.  A young nobleman falls in love with a foreign soldier.  That’s the sort of story we’ve encountered time & time again.

This is a very well written novella.  But to me, it fell prey to the stereotypical problem of a literary piece, namely the plot didn’t compel me. I felt as if I were reading a pure romance, and without the investment needed to have any stakes in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment