Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Black Magick Woman

Greg Rucka & Nicola Scott “Black Magick Volume 1: Awakening” (Image, 2016)


In 2016, when Lucifer himself is a cop & dedicated to fighting crime, OF COURSE our witchy protagonist is a cop. It sounds hackneyed, and it may ultimately play out to being such.

Volume 1 of Black Magick is all about setting the scene. We are introduced to some of our players, even if we don’t know how they will interact.  We have a couple of witches, some shifty Germans involved in a secret (anti-magick?) society, and some serious serious bad supernaturals. Rowan Black is our heroine, and so far she’s pretty blank.  She comes off more as a witch who is a cop than as a cop who does magick.

Nicola Scott’s art is powerful, and works with the primarily black and white concept. I’m not a huge fan of her drawing, but she tells the story well & never had any problems differentiating characters. 

For all that I’m saying rather lukewarm things about this book, I enjoyed the hell out of reading it.  I sat & kept reading until I was done.  And then I was bummed that I will have to wait a long-ish time for volume 2.  So it is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment