Saturday, December 3, 2011

"A Carol Christmas" (2003)



Why did I watch this?  Optimistically, I was hoping for a "so bad it's good" experience like "Santa Buddies".  First, there's the gender switch trope which is a pretty solid signifier of low quality.  Second, the cast:  Tori Spelling  & William Shatner get top billing.  I didn't even know about Gary Coleman!

I have to say that my modest hopes were dashed.  This was easily the worst version of "A Christmas Carol" that I've seen.  The acting was even worse than I expected.  I'd never actually seen Tori Spelling, but she was actually below my (low) expectations.  It was interesting to see someone get outacted by Gary Coleman.  That's really not something that you see every day.

There were also a couple of changes to the actual story that did have some impact.  Scrooge (Spelling/Carol) was manipulated into her Scrooginess by her aunt (Marley).  If Scrooge is deprived of agency, then the ultimate redemption of Scrooge is not as powerful.  Scrooge's brother-in-law doesn't dislike her (there's normally tension between the family members, as everyone else talks down Scrooge, but the nephew sticks up for him).

No comments:

Post a Comment